Litti Chokha or Bati Chokha
Ingredients (for 3-4 servings)
For the outer part of litti or bati
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 2 tbsp refined oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- 1 cup roasted gram (bhune chane) or sattu
- 4-5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 medium-size onion finely chopped
- 1“ piece Ginger grated
- 2 -3 Green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp kalonji (onion seeds)
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 stuffed red chili picle (We will use the only stuffing of chilly)
- Salt to taste
For chokha or baigan ka bharta
- 2 medium-sized boiled potatoes
- 1 big rounded brinjal (baingan)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 2-4 finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2” piece of ginger grated
- 2 medium sized onionsfinely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
Method (How to make litti chokha）
- Sieve the flour in big bowl & add salt, ajwain seeds, and oil
- Knead the dough with water cover with a wet cloth & keep aside.
- Now, The dough is ready for litti now we will make filling for litti.
- Grind rosted garm to powder (or we can use sattu)
- Mix the filling ingredients with roasted gram flour
- Add ¼ cup water to make a stuffing moist.
- Now make 10-12 balls from the kneaded dough. sprinckle some dry atta and make a patty roughly 2″ diameter in size with hand.
- Now Stuff 2 spoon filling in the center of the patty and close it from all sides.
- Fill all the littis from stuffing and keep aside.
- Now Pre-heat the oven to 200 F and put all the litties on a baking tray and bake till one side is brown or black spots come on the litti surface. Then turn over a litti & bake for few minutes until other side is brown as well.
- Take out from the oven and dip in ghee serve with chokha or baigan ka bharta.
- Boil the tomatoes and remove the skin and keep aside.
- Make some hole on the brinjal and put garlic clove inside the brinjal and cook in the oven or roast on the gas stove on medium flame from both the sides untill it becomes soft.
- Take a bowl of cold water & put the roasted brinjal in it.
- Peel of the burnt skin of the brinjal.
- Mash boiled potatoes, brinjal along with garlic and tomatoes together.
- Add finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, grated ginger salt, green chillies andmustard oil.
- Mix all the ingredients with hands properly.
- Chokha is ready
- Serve with hot litti.
If you like this Rajasthani thali bati-choka, you will definitely like their other favorite dish which is Laal Maans.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Spicy dum aloo from the Kashmiri Cuisine
- 500 gms baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch (if using a hotter variety of red chili powder than reduce the quantity as required)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds powder/saunf powder
- ½ tbsp ginger powder/saunth powder
- 4 to 5 tbsp curd/yogurt, beaten
- ¼ tsp asafoetida/hing
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 1 tsp caraway seeds/shahjeera
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 and a half cup water
- salt as required
- some caraway seeds as garnishing
- Wash the all potatoes very well. Then, half boil the potatoes. Prick them with a fork. If the potatoes are very small, you do not need to halve them. Mine was a little big so I halved them.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Deep fry potatoes till crisp & browned.
- In other pan or Kadai, heat 2 tbsp of oil, and fry the caraway seeds.
- Lower the flame & add asafoetida and red chili powder. add 2 tbsp water. Let the mixture cook for few minutes.
- Add the curd & give a boil to the mixture for the minute.
- Now add the whole spices, fried potatoes, ginger, fennel powder.
- Mix well and add 1 & a half cup water plus salt.cover with a lid and let the whole mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes till the gravy becomes thick.